Saturday, April 3, 2010

Strike!

The GEO may go on strike next week. In the shitty contract UIC has offered us, the administration has eliminated the language that guarantees our tuition waiver. I've volunteered to be a strike captain, and I have to admit the prospect is really frightening. Though I admit that I have strong opinions about a limited number of subjects -- and will assert them if asked -- I'm actually a very quiet person and don't enjoy yelling at strangers. So I'll try to keep everyone (read: myself, Doug, and Matt) updated on the progress of our labor dispute.

I want to talk a little bit about cultural production and ideology. Here is the best example I can think of: To your right you'll see the building on UIC's campus that houses the English department. I think the building is beautiful. I'm always struck by how monolithic and assertive it appears, even though it's imposing and feels like a drain on your soul. In any case, the ideology happens alllllllll the way at the bottom, where that pathetic little sign reads:

"A WORLD-CLASS UNIVERSITY, A WORLD-CLASS CITY."

In certain respects, the letters on the sign communicate a true statement. But the words don't exist to assert the message of their language. The actual function of the sign is to resolve a social conflict inherent within the cultural context. The banner in question hangs above a scaffold surrounding University Hall. Its only real use-value is to protect us from the massive chunks of falling concrete which sometimes dive recklessly from the neglected building. In that sense, what's written on the banner is ancillary to its function as an ideological sign. You can read the words, but if you suggested that the meaning of whatever you might find there was independent of the safety hazard you'd be overlooking a significant material reality.

We can also understand this entire post in much the same way. I have a ton of grading I need to do before the strike, and so instead of doing that I'm writing on this thing. Yeah, I feel like I'm saying something interesting, but what I'm really doing is trying to resolve the supposed contradiction between "writing something socially useful" and "my responsibilities as a teacher."

Back to the grind.

3 comments:

  1. I briefly checked out the GEO website's article about the tuition waivers. When the school says that certain departments are "tuition-supporting" is that supposed to mean that the expected income of the graduate student justifies paying the tuition anyway? If that's what they mean, they have chosen some hilariously disparate categories to lump together. It would be interesting to see how UIC would respond if they were simply asked to provide some data that would support their theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's more hilarious is how their estimated cost of living expense for the city of chicago (19K) is less than the minimum stipend (14.5K). Please tell me you're going into labor law....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Well, that was my original area of interest, but now I have to be open to taking any job in any practice area in any Ohio city.
    There was a literally a job posting a few weeks back seeking attorneys to represent (accused) child molesters for $10 an hour. Didn't apply for that one, but it made me think that someone will.
    I do have a much more intelligent friend and neighbor who has secured a job practicing at least partially in labor law, so the unions are probably in more capable hands.
    Having said that, if there's ever any specific provision of Illinois law you need looked up then just let me know.
    Also, can I start calling you "Cap'n?"

    ReplyDelete